Printer Driver is Unavailable
As you get the error “Printer driver is unavailable” means that the drivers installed for the printer are either outdated or not compatible. Which may also mean that the driver is corrupted and the computer fails to recognize it? drivers Unavailable is very common in the world of printing issues and can be fixed with a few tweaks here and there. There are so many issues which may cause Printer in error state, driver unavailable is one of them.
How To Check for Printer Drivers Updates
Click on Control Panel and select “Hardware and Sound,” then “Device Drivers.” Find and select the devices that may need driver updates. Select “Action,” and then “Update Driver Software.” Your system will scan for your current drivers and check if an updated version is available.
How to Update Printer Drivers
The method for updating your printer drivers will depend on the operating system you have, so the best thing to do is check your manual or the printer manufacturer’s website.
However, to update a printer driver on Windows 10 follows these steps:
- Go to Control Panel
- Click on ‘Hardware and Sound’
- Click on ‘Device Manager’ to show all of the connected hardware on your machine – look for the ‘Printers’ drop-down which will contain any relevant printers
- Right-click the printer you want to update the drivers on and click ‘Update driver.’
- Choose whether to search for drivers automatically or manually – choose automatically unless you have already downloaded the latest drivers or have them on external storage
- If Windows doesn’t find a new driver, you can look for one yourself on the manufacturer’s website and download before installing manually
- Run the installer to complete the set-up.
If you’re running Windows 7, the printer driver update process is slightly different:
- Go to Control Panel
- Search for ‘Device Manager’ and click it in the results to show all of the connected hardware on your machine
- Find your connected printer in the list of devices – it’ll usually be under ‘Ports (COM and LPT)’ or ‘Universal Serial Bus’
- Right-click the printer and open up ‘Properties’
- Choose the ‘Driver’ tab and click ‘Update Driver’ – choosing to find new drivers automatically or locally on your computer
Why Is My Printer Not Responding?
Sometimes while attempting to print in a wireless LAN environment, message Printer not responding may appear. So, restarting the computer and then attempt to print again may fix most of the problem. In some cases, an access point (or wireless router) and wireless printer may not be communicating. Power off and on the access point and printer in order to restore communication.
Fix Printer Not Responding By Updating the Printer’s Device Driver
If the printer drivers are outdated it can cause the Printer not responding the message to appear. We can fix that problem simply by installing the latest drivers for the printer. In order to do so locate the printer on the list of devices, right-click it and choose Update.